Scotland’s Gardens, a registered charity, was created in 1931 in order to facilitate the opening of private gardens to the public as a means of raising money to support the training and pensions of the Queen’s Nurses, generally known as District Nurses. Four years earlier The National Gardens Scheme had been founded in England for the same purpose.
East Lothian gardens that are open to the public on specific dates include several in Athelstaneford Village, Dirleton Village, Gifford Village, Greywalls, Humbie Dean, Inveresk Lodge Garden, Inveresk Village, Newhailes, Shepherd House, Stenton Village, Traprain Garden Circle, Tyninghame House and Winton House. A full listing can be seen here.
The garden pictured is Garvald Grange, one the gardens included in the Traprain Garden Circle.
The 2016 Guidebook can be purchased on the Scotland’s Gardens website can be purchased for £7 including p&p.
More info: www.scotlandsgardens.org