Baled Waste Scam
Scotland is seeing an increase in incidents of criminals exploiting disused quarries, farmland and industrial units to illegally dispose of large quantities of waste materials – particularly baled waste. The common mode of transport for this activity is articulated lorries with curtain-sided trailers.
In general, the vehicles are unmarked and do not have any company markings.
Individuals have been known to approach farmers and landowners and “broker” a deal by offering cash in exchange for storing the material which is then abandoned leaving the landowner liable for expensive clean-up and disposal costs.
- Information on the following should be reported to SEPA’s pollution hotline 0800 80 70 60, (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- Increased lorry traffic into disused quarries, farms and industrial units
- Curtain sided trailers on countryside roads that appear to be overfilled and bulging
- Increased activity at unusual hours at these location types
- New gates, locks, CCTV or signage on quarries and industrial units
If you see or know anything about this type of crime call SEPA on the above number or if you witness an activity in progress call Police Scotland on 101/999.